Celebrating 50 Years of Service
Since 1958, Presbyterian Communities of South Carolina (PCSC) has enriched the lives of seniors throughout South Carolina. PCSC serves seniors of all faiths and is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA). We are a compassionate Christian ministry offering continuing care retirement living at five locations across the state including: Clinton, Easley, Florence, Columbia and Summerville.
PCSC offers residency options including patio homes and apartments, residential assisted living, memory support and health services.
PCSC is a not-for-profit organization overseen by a volunteer Board of Trustees. Being a nonprofit retirement community gives PCSC the freedom to concentrate on the needs of the residents, first and foremost. All revenue is used for the upkeep of buildings and care of the residents.
Two names figure prominently and are entwined in the early beginnings of the Presbyterian Home of South Carolina – Reverend Dr. Charles Robert Tapp and Reverend Dr. William McLeod Frampton, Jr.
It was during Dr. Tapp’s ministry at the Summerville Presbyterian Church in the early 1950s that the Synod of South Carolina began making earnest plans for a church-sponsored retirement home. A study committee was deemed necessary and Dr. Frampton was appointed chairman.
On May 28, 1953, Dr. Frampton’s committee recommended the acceptance of a gift of 26 acres of land in Summerville from Dr, Jack Rhodes and his wife, Dorothy. The Synod concurred; a permanent Executive Committee was authorized and the idea began to have substance. A significant recommendation, that a Mother’s Day offering be taken on May 9, 1954, for the “Home for the Aged” was also adopted at this meeting. Over the years, the Mother’s Day offering has become a tradition and is an important factor in providing resident aid.
On October 9, 1956, the cornerstone for the Summerville Home was put into place by the President of the Board of Trustees, Mr. Arthur Scarborough who then officially installed Charles Robert Tapp as Superintendent. Among the trustees attending was William McLeod Frampton, the presiding officer. In January, 1958, the first twenty residents moved into the Summerville Home.
On June 4, 1968, Dr. Frampton was elected unanimously as president of the Board of Trustees. Recognizing the need for a broader base of informed church members, Frampton initiated the formation of the Board of Advisors of Presbyterian Home. Over the years this board, consisting of representatives from Presbyterian churches in South Carolina, has contributed significantly to PCSC in the area of publicity and communication. Today this group is known as the “PCSC Ambassadors”.
The next residence facility to be built was the Clinton Home which opened in 1975, followed by Frampton Hall in 1976, which later closed in 2008. On September 1, 1981, Presbyterian Home opened its fourth “campus” at Florence, South Carolina. The Columbia Home opened in 1986 and the Foothills Retirement Community in Easley, South Carolina opened in 1998.
With 5 retirement communities throughout the state, Presbyterian Home is now known as Presbyterian Communities of South Carolina .